Recalls are used to remove defective or potentially unsafe products from the market. There are two types of recalls:
- Mandatory recalls
- Voluntary recalls
Mandatory recalls are ordered by the Department of Cannabis Control (DCC). Voluntary recalls are conducted by the cannabis business.
DCC can order a mandatory recall when:
- There is an immediate and serious threat to human life or health, and
- Other remedies would cause an unreasonable delay
During a mandatory recall, DCC notifies all licensees who have the affected product. We provide guidance about what to do, and we work closely with licensees to take needed action.
List of DCC-mandated recalls
January 26, 2022: Claybourne Co. Head Banger (Cannabis flower)
- Sold from November 2, 2021 to January 26, 2022
- Reason for recall: Aspergillus contamination
A licensee may conduct a voluntary recall for cannabis or a cannabis products that are adulterated or misbranded. A licensee must notify DCC that the licensee has initiated a voluntary recall. DCC will then work with licensees to ensure appropriate notices are provided and the recalled cannabis and cannabis products are properly handled. Recalled cannabis and cannabis products may be remediated if approved by the department or must be destroyed. After receiving notification of a voluntary recall, DCC also posts the information to the list of voluntary recalls on its website to provide information to licensees and consumers.
List of voluntary recalls
July 14, 2023: Last Minute Venture, LLC (Cannalean brand products)
- Reason for voluntary recall: Five tinctures were labeled with an outdated government warning.
May 19, 2023: RCW Manufacturing (Cann-brand products)
- Reason for voluntary recall: certain batches of Cann-brand beverages are experiencing over-pressurization or an expansion of the can the beverage is in.
- More information on the affected batches can be found here:
December 23, 2022: Lakewood Libations, Inc. (Cannabis Edible Beverages)
- License number: CDPH-10004047; C11-0001390-LIC
- DBA: Tinley’s Beverage Company
- Reason for voluntary recall: These products were voluntarily recalled due to a potential packaging defect.
- Affected Products:
|Source UID||Batch Number||Product Name|
|1A406030000FC59000000348||RB00348||Mary Jones 12oz Root Beer|
|1A406030000FC59000000341||OC00341||Mary Jones 12oz Orange Cream|
The batch number can be located on the COA stamp on the bottom of every bottle.
More information can be found on the voluntary recall, please visit the product website: https://gomaryjones.com/recall-information/
October 13, 2022: Metta Distribution (Cannabis Flower)
- License number: C11-0000090-LIC; retail locations…
- Reason for voluntary recall: This product was voluntarily recalled due to Aspergillus contamination.
- More information can be found on the product website:
September 28, 2022: Refined Xtraction (Hot sauce/edible)
- License number: C11-0001248-LIC, CDPH-10003050
- Reason for voluntary recall: This product was voluntarily recalled because it is a prohibited product per DCC regulations, section 17300, subsection (e).
- More information can be found on the product website: https://hautesauceofficial.com/home/notices/?v=7516fd43adaa